Sumdog Writing allows students to play games with each other whilst practicing their spelling, grammar and creative writing skills.
There are four Sumdog Writing games to choose from. These games are different to Sumdog's other games as they involve the students communicating with one another. Because of this, some games involve additional safety measures to make sure that students are safe and happy whilst playing together.
Students can only write real words and Sumdog helps check spelling and suggests grammar and punctuation changes.
To allow student to play writing games at school, teachers should:
- Log in to Sumdog and click the green 'Class' panel on the left of the screen.
- Click 'Choose Subject' and select 'Writing'.
- Check the box that says 'Allow students to play writing games for an hour.'
- Click 'Done'
Students can practice their writing skills at home with Sumdog. However, approval is needed from a parent or Guardian. This only needs to be done once per student to activate writing at home.
Teachers should generate a consent code for parents or guardians to enter. This consent code is unique and time limited.
To generate this code:
- Log in to Sumdog with your teacher account
- Click the purple 'School' panel and select 'Writing settings'
- Click 'Generate Consent Code'
- You'll see a consent code alongside a template email to print or send to parents, who will enter the code on a free parent account.
Below the email template, you'll see a list of your students and an indication of whether their parents has given consent or not.
Instructions for parents:
Once you have an account:
- Click the purple 'Family' button on the right
- Choose 'writing settings'
- Enter the code provided by the teacher
Teachers can read everything their students write while playing Sumdog's writing games.
To access your student's discussions:
- Log into Sumdog with your teacher account
- Click your 'School' panel
- Select 'Writing Settings'.
- Scroll down to see a list of students.
- Select which class you'd like to view discussions for and the period of time you wish to view using the dropdown lists.
- Click 'Discussions' beside the student you wish to view.
- Select a discussion to show all communication during that session.
Learn more about subscribing for writing here.