This page explains how to add multiple students to Sumdog. If you prefer, you can add just one or two students on the roster.
You can use a spreadsheet to create lots of student accounts at once.
If you are using a spreadsheet to upload multiple classes you will just need to include all the students on one sheet.
Step 1 - Create your spreadsheet
Create a spreadsheet with these columns:
- First name
- Last name
- Grade/Year (Grade/Year should correspond with the academic year. Use the codes as defined here )
If you want to use customized usernames and passwords for your students, add two more columns:
Note: No need to add a heading row - the first row should be the details of the first student
Step 2 - Import your students OR copy and paste
Now that your spreadsheet is ready, you can upload your students.
- Click Settings
- Click on MANAGE in the Manage students box
- Click on Upload on the bottom right of the page
You can now select (bottom right) if you you like to Past Students or Import Students.
- Copy the data on your spreadsheet
- Click Paste students (at the bottom of the upload page)
- Click the white box and paste your data
- Click Upload data
- Save your spreadsheet.
- Click Import students (at the bottom of the upload page)
- Choose your file from your desktop and open
You will be prompted to choose what you would like your spreadsheet to do.
- Create new students: This will create a new account for all the students in the spreadsheet
- Rearranging classes and/or changing year groups: this will rearrange the students in the spreadsheet according to the classes you have listed. It will also create new accounts for students who do not have a matching Sumdog student account
- Changing login details: This will rearrange the students into the listed classes and also change their login details
We will then ask you to confirm each column so we know what each detail is (e.g. first name, last name...)
You will see a preview and can save your students.
Note: Classes can have up to 39 students in them. If you create a spreadsheet that will result in a class having more than 39 students, the spreadsheet will not upload.
Also if you are uploading existing students do make sure that their names in the system and spreadsheet match. The reason for this is that if the names are different Sumdog will take it that it is a new student and create a new account instead move the the existing account to the new class.